It is important that the dressing that we have put on your pet is looked after carefully. Follow the tips below to ensure that the treatment is successful:
Do not allow your pet to chew at their dressing – we can provide you with a buster collar if you think they may interfere with it.
Keep your pet’s dressing dry at all times – if they are going outside to go to the toilet then cover the bandage with a water proof plastic bag and hold it in place with a loose tie, tape or elastic band. The bag and the method you use to hold it in place must be removed as soon as you get back inside your house.
CHECK YOUR PET’S DRESSING THREE TIMES A DAY, LOOK OUT FOR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS:
• Staining of the bandage
• The bandage has become wet
• The bandage is smelling
• Your pet’s leg is swelling above or below the dressing
• Your pet is chewing or bothering the dressing
• Your pet seems to be in pain or discomfort with the dressing
• The dressing has come loose, or seems to have tightened
• The dressing appears to have twisted
• The base of the bandage has become worn
If you notice any of these issues it is extremely important that you contact the surgery immediately and arrange an appointment so that we can check your pet’s dressing for you.
Check your pet three times a day for any signs of general illness, these include (but are not limited to), a reduction in their appetite, an increased tendency to sleep, an unwillingness to go outside, grumpy or aggressive behaviour.
If you are concerned about your pet’s general health, then please phone us immediately on the numbers below so that we can arrange to check them for you.